So I just got back from the cinema seeing The Fault in our Stars. I have read the book 3 times and it means so much to me however I wasn't that excited for the film I thought Ansel Elgort was completely wrong casting, I pictured Gus more alternative and defiantly brown hair. When the trailer was released I really didn't like it, I found it so cheesy and it looked like a chick flick. However I was still desperate to see the film and boy am I glad I did.
It was so much better than I expected. Of course it wasn't as good as the book and they left so much out but it was such a good adaptation.
Just a warning if you haven't seen it or read the book there will be spoilers!!
- We never met Hazels friend Kaitlyn
- HE IS 17! AUGUSTUS WATERS IS 17 the whole film he is apparently 18! WHY!
- Gus didn't at all mention how she looked like Natile Portman in V for Vendetta and they didn't specifically watch that film (although I did notice the poster above his bed) in this scene they also left out the mention of her being a vegetarian which I thought was important as she was shocked to see that he remembered this when they were in Amsterdam.
- He didn't leave his phone number in 'the prince of dawn' and he didn't say 'right that's why I said tomorrow I want to see you again tonight. But I am willing to wait all night and much of tomorrow ' and how see already guessed he had left his number in the book for her and it showed how even after just meeting that same day they really did know each other so well.
- they left out the scene where Hazel searches Gus' ex on Facebook.
- They left out the scene in the mall where a young girl called Jackie asks Hazel about her oxygen tubes which was disappointing as John Green was an extra in that scene.
- it annoyed me that the smashing of the trophies scene Hazel and Gus discuss An imperial affliction in the background so the audience was laughing at Isaac instead of the importance of them bonding of their love for this book.
- In the book Isaac's operation was more of a big deal and they both visited but in the film suddenly Isaac is blind.
- There was no poetry reading or references at all! I love when he demands her to read some poetry on the plan and when she finishes the poem later on he calls her sexy.
- Finally there a just a few of my favourite quotes that were left out like during the sex scene she is touching Gus' amputee so he says "I am starting to think you have an amputee fetish" (referencing back to when he asked her what's your story any weird fetishes) and she replies "I have an Augustus Waters fetish" (my heart melted)! And when Hazel plays a video game with Isaac after (no spoilers although the quote will be) and Isaac says "I dislike living in a world without Augustus Waters" Computer "I don't understand" "me neither. Pause" I sob every time at this line.
- Even though I said earlier that I felt Elgort didn't look right for the time after seeing the film I see why he was cast he was the most perfect Gus the world could have. he was so cocky, funny witty, intelligent everything that Gus should be and he really did show his love for Hazel perfectly even in the way he looked at her.
- Everything in the Anne Fank house was done beautifully the Hazel forcing herself up those stairs was done perfectly and the kiss and the applause was perfect
- actually everything in Amsterdam was perfect the waiter in the restaurant mentioning the stars, the scenery filmed in Amsterdam, Van Houghton, the sex scene, Gus professing that he is in love with Hazel just everything in Amsterdam was done better than I could have ever imagined.
- Every Character was done perfectly actually even though I pictured them all differently.
- The support group scenes were amazing! Patrick oh I wish there was more of Patrick.
- When Gus rings her at 2am to meet him at the station I thought that was all done so beautiful and Shaline really showed the panic that she thought it was a call to say he had gone it was just acted to well.
it was simply beautiful and just an amazing film was they left bits out but most of it I can understand why and it would have been ridiculously long and even a little boring if they had shown every single thing in the book. I do prefer the book but I think that was always inevitable. I want to see it again and I think you fall in love with Hazel and Gus' relationship in a whole new way from the book.
If you haven't read the book or love it this film is perfect for everyone its funny, relatable and of course sad and frustrating bring plenty of tissues but you need to go and see this now!! I cannot wait for more Green adaptations now. This morning he just announced Looking for Alaska which I love is being made into a film.
Let me know in the comments if you have seen it and your thoughts please?
Thanks for reading and staying till the end sorry this was long and a bit of a rant.
Pinterest - Twitter - Bloglovin - Facebook
P.S Thanks for everyone who has every read A Fashion Oddity and help me hit 5,000 page views. Also if you want to keep up to date with my posts you can follow a Fashion Oddity on bloglovin' here ( there may be a giveaway coming when I hit 100 followers)
P.S.S I have also started a facebook page for A Fashion Oddity which you can like here! Thanks!